That aside, my week has been more restful so far, so that's good. I've been able to work from home and, after such a manic few weeks, this has been really good for my mental health. Today Nic was here too so we were able to go out for a walk at lunchtime and another one at the end of the working day. This evening I'm making soup and we're going to watch a film. It's a wild life, but these simple pleasures are really important to me right now. I'm going to crack on with the second sleeve of the cardigan I'm working on at the moment (a purple Agatha cardigan) and maybe even have a gin and tonic.
I have a bit of sewing to show you this evening - as I said in my last post, I have a bit of a backlog of finished sewing projects to share. This one came about after Mrs C gave me some fitting advice on a previous post - basically, if Mrs C gives me advice, I listen. After I posted the Endeavour dress, she suggested adding a few darts into the neckline to bring the shoulder straps in, as she thought they were too wide-set for me. Fast-forward to a few weeks ago. I had the evening to myself, some cheap and cute cotton to experiment with: off I went!
Crush With Eyeliner dress - By Hand London Kim dress with a pleated skirt, worn with Irregular Choice 'Windsor' shoes
If the fabric looks familiar, it's because I have sewed with it before. I made the Elaine dress from the pink colourway of this fabric last year. As with that dress, the fabric for this dress came from Goldhawk Road. I bought a two-metre remnant of it for £6 in A-Z Fabrics at the end of October, and this was more than enough for me to make this dress and self-line the bodice. Happy days!
Mrs C was right that the straps on the Kim dress were too wide-set - as well as too long - for me. I have a short torso, narrow shoulders and a short measurement between my shoulders and my bust. To work out how much I would need to take the shoulders in by, I put one of the first Kim dresses I had made on inside out and I pinned out a wedge where the neckline meets the straps on each side. As this bodice has princess seams, I then added that dart into the princess seam. It was surprisingly simple and I think it has really made a difference to the way this dress fits - no more straps sliding down!
I could probably still tinker with the fit of this bodice a bit, but I don't think that I will. Maybe on the next one, I will act on some previous advice from Mrs C and sew some cotton tape into the neckline, so that it lies flatter to my body.
The Kim pattern comes with a gathered skirt and a tulip skirt, but I am really digging pleated skirts at the moment so I added a pleated skirt to this instead. I really love the finished dress - considering it was an experiment, I think it turned out really well. I didn't make it with a specific event in mind, but once I finished it I decided to save it for wearing to see The Divine Comedy in Belfast. It was really cold in Belfast that weekend (not to mention the fact that it just would not stop raining) so I wore it with a cardigan and ankle boots, and I felt pretty great.
So, that's the craic there. Thank you, Mrs C, for the great advice!
Right now, I must go and watch this film with Nic. He's teaching Godzilla this term, so he needs to also watch some of the recent remakes. Tonight it's the Roland Emmerich film from the 90s with Matthew Broderick. Yeah. It's just as well that a) I love him and b) I have gin in the house, that's all I'm saying. We're half an hour in and it's not good.
UPDATE: No, wait. Nic says we can switch it off and watch an episode of The X-Files instead. YEAH BOI. I might still have gin though. Night!